Sunday, September 25, 2011

Nightlife facts (and others)

1) Don't ask the guy at the Doener stop for cheap drinks. (Oh yeah!!! Doeners are the best Turkish/fast food ever, and they are sooo popular in Berlin. I've had two this week already.) If you're a girl, he automatically assumes you want a Smirnoff ice. WRONG. I wanted a beer. But 4 Smirnoffs ices for 10 euros.... eh why not?



2) International parties happen every weekend. They are loads of fun with accents all over the world. And dancing always follows (until at the earliest, 6 am). Last night I danced so much that my arms were soar the next morning. What?????





3) Random things happen in Berlin a lot. Random demonstrations, random people trying to entertain you, random marathons on rollerblades. Yeah I saw a rollerblade marathon after I got a sandwich at a local cafe.




4) Parks in Berlin are AMAZING. It's easy to escape the busy streets and sit watching the sunset fall over some random small lake in the middle of the city.



5)Lighting things on fire must be a thing... cocktails, shots of something in people's mouths <-- didn't do that, but some crazy Italian/French/Russian people I met did!! Twice!!




6) People think going home at 2 am is not going out. Where I come from, if you make it to 2 am you went out.

My friends, looking at me through the subway, off to the club:



7) My class at the Sprachzentrum for HU is AWESOME. They come from all over the world, make dinner together, cool beers off in the sink (totally not going to work), and then sing at the top of their lungs!!! Followed by some awesome dancing.




8) I wish I had scaffolding outside my house. My friend Elizabeth has scaffolding outside her house because they are doing construction. This makes for an awesome time sitting, watching the sunset, and dangling my feet 100s of feet above the ground. I feel like these guys in that famous New York picture:
http://www.microsiervos.com/images/Lunch-atop-a-Skyscraper.jpg








9) Frisbee next to the Berliner Dome where the old DDR Government building used to be would only happen in a city like Berlin. I don't have a picture, but next time I'm there I'll take a picture of my epic frisbee playing spot. Seriously unreal.



So this blog was a little bit different because I haven't been keeping it up to date. But honestly I've been doing a lot of German speaking (and also English :( ), German class every morning, and then hanging out with people at night with some homework in between. I've met people from all over the world and have been making plans to travel to see them already when some of them leave after six months here. I look forward to the weekends because I can sleep past 7 am. This last week I had a test and presentation, so a few days I stayed in and watched a movie in my huge room.

This next week I want to have some people to my place for dinner and play some frisbee/soccer!!! Time to work off all of this beer drinking...

1 comment:

  1. May I ask what you were doing with your arms to make them sore??? Hahaha Nice blue picture you cannot even tell what it is:) I do like the friends subway picture, and I love that you can dangle your feet off the scaffolding. I can picture you there.

    ReplyDelete