Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Oktoberfest 2011

This time in Germany I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to travel to Munich to go to Oktoberfest. Phil, my good friend here, organized everything for us. The ride to Munich, the ride back all within the same day! It proved to be a very long day, but definitely something to see before I left Germany. Oktoberfest is the biggest folk festival in the world, and as most of you know, a festival filled with beer, pretzels, and a good time!!!



My first realization that I was going to Oktoberfest was the Ubahn to the festival. Imagine a subway packed with people all wearing lederhosen or dirndels (classic German garb). Getting off the subway at the Ubahn stop was also something else. The entire boarding platform was packed with people.



It was unreal. The atmosphere was unparalleled to anywhere I've ever been before. It looked to me like the LA county fair except with German food, German clothes, and A LOT more beer. The most unbelievable thing was the beer tents. Literally at noon packed with people singing, drinking, and having a merry time.



Phil and I walked around most of the Wiesenplatz (festival area). Unable to find anywhere to sit in the tents, we continued our search to the beer gardens. Finally we were able to find a spot to sit in the back corner of the Lowenbrau Biergarten. We met a nice German couple and I was forced to practice my German a bit more. We ate half a chicken and a HUGE chicken while of course drinking a maB of beer. A maB is a liter; it's a lot. I had to use 2 hands to bring it up to my mouth. After talking with the couple and the family next to us, they left and some Italians joined us. The Italians didn't speak much English at all, so Phil and I sat there and drank one more maB of beer. By this time, as you can imagine, I was feeling the 2 liters of beer, so we decided to get up and go explore the rest of Oktoberfest.

It was great fun! Taking pictures, observing the people, the atmosphere was so jolly. Everyone was pleased to be there and it showed. The weather was amazing, hotter than Santa Barbara.





We took tons of pictures and then around 6 decided to head back for another maB. Soo much beer! This time we met up with some younger Germans (the older crowd and families were beginning to head home). Another great time and such a lively atmosphere. A great memory, and once in a lifetime experience!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment