Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kreuzberg and Olivier's Visit

Update: Just finished visiting Whitney in Scotland for 5 days, and tomorrow I start classes with the Uni (in German, so literally freaking out). Before that, I finished my language course, my friend Olivier from France visited me for about a week, and I took a tour with my class around Kreuzberg. Here's the story and pictures:

The tour around Kreuzberg was quite an interesting look into one of Berlin's most alternative neighborhoods. My teacher lives there and was able to give a look into the architecture as well as the history of the neighborhood. Kreuzberg, although in West Berlin, was on the border of East Berlin. Therefore housing was cheaper than the rest of Berlin, and a lot of immigrants moved there. Students also moved there because the housing was so cheap.

In the 1970's, the government wanted to modernize the buildings with unique architecture. As a result, in comparison to the rest of Berlin, there is a unique mixture of very old buildings next to modernized buildings from the 1980s. A factory complex is still standing that I found fascinating as well. Kreuzberg is quite the interesting place and I definitely need to explore it a bit more before I leave.

Picture of a "modernized builiding":


The front of a factory complex (this isn't modern, but an older building from the early 1900s). People lived here and worked in the factories behind the building:



The factories (Fabrik auf Deutsch):


A church on the edge of Kreuzberg. This church was located in East Berlin. As a result, another more modern church was created in West Berlin. As a result, there are two churches with the same name super close to each other:



Olivier, as I mentioned above, also came to visit. It was nice having a familiar face from Ireland and we also explored the city together a bit. I got to see some things I hadn't seen yet, which was great!!!

Things I got to see: the memorial for the Jewish people killed in WWII. It is so unique, and the more I see it, the more I like it and appreciate it. Here's a picture of it underneath the sunset (Note: this picture doesn't do it justice.)



We also headed to a memorial for the Berlin wall. It is a short tram ride away from my apartment. Bernauer StraBe was known as a spot where the East Germans could escape to West Germany because an apartment complex in East Germany was literally part of a wall. As a result, residents living in technically East Germany had their front doors open up into West Berlin. At first, they didn't feel a need to escape and thought the wall was temporary. After a month or so, they began to realize it was not temporary and made plans to move into West Berlin. However, the DDR also realized this and first boarded up the front doors. Then people began to jump from the windows into West Berlin. The DDR then bricked up the windows and forced the residents to move. Tunnels were made from East into West as well. This memorial explained it all (if I did a shotty job, sorry!!) and was very impressive.

From the West, looking into East Berlin. This is what it would've looked like:


Part of the wall with the sticks representing the wall as well:



Oh yeah. And I had my first experience with Berlin from a nice day to torrential downpour!! Literally 5 minutes later from the previous picture:



The Blue Man Group was also playing while he was here and I was able to get free tickets thanks to my class! It was a great visual and musical show, with laughter mixed throughout. A picture of me and Annalouse with the Blue Man (yes, he's a person!!!):



We also walked around the city a bit. The weather is getting colder as you can see me all bundled up in my jacket and scarf!!!



The last thing we did that I hadn't done yet was going up the Fernsehen Turm. It gives an amazing view of the city.



Of course, we also went out dancing one night. What would Berlin be without that :)



It was really great to see him and I can't wait to go visit him in France...



next post: Scotland with Whitney!!!

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome! I loved all the facts you through in! You look great in your jacket and scarf!

    ReplyDelete