Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Live music is stealing my heart

Why hello everyone from back home!! I started class on Friday which was a short German test to see what level of German I should be placed in. I did ok, and am in the middle of the group. Considering the fact that I haven’t taken any German in 2 years, I’ll take it!!

More exploring at night last week:




This last weekend was a lot of fun. (I need to start keeping this up, I can’t remember exactly what I did!!) On Friday after the test I went with a few Americans to a cafĂ©. Germany has amazing small coffee cafes that are super cute and nice to just sit and enjoy a drink. Afterwards, I moved into my new apartment!! Here are some pictures:






I know, it’s very girly. BUT it has everything I could ever need! A stereo system, a TV, a couch (my own couch… what??) speakers for my computer, and even a playstation. Woot woot! I’ve never had a room this big. Honestly, I don’t need it. I like my little tiny rooms with rinky dinky furniture. But hey, for 6 months I’ll do my best to enjoy the luxury  I’m getting to know my flat mates a little bit more. Robert cooks but likes to keep to himself. He did take me shopping, and thought it was funny when I couldn’t figure out what certain things were. Judith is very nice and helpful; she’s studying physical therapy, so a lot of the same stuff that I’m going to be doing with medicine. She even practiced on me the other day and said she can give good massages haha. She studies a lot, because she is in the middle of a bunch of tests. She has 4 next week. So I see her but not often. Robert is moving out, and hopefully we’ll get another young adult.

Friday night I went out clubbing for the first time in Berlin. After going to a friend’s house for predrinks, we headed to a club called Matrix. While it’s known to be an international club and not so local, I managed to meet a few German boys  It was a lot of fun and I didn’t get home until 6 a.m. the next morning!!!!

I then slept for half the day. Later that day, Josh, Kit and I headed off to a German girl’s house that Josh had met at the club. She lived about 40 minutes outside of the city by train with her family. Around her house was an absolutely gorgeous lake. Like seriously, I fell in love. I’ll be going back there a lot!





We cooked dinner with the girl and some of her friends. It was a lot of fun! Some silent moments, but by the end we had settled in a bit more. I met a girl that plays soccer and might go out and practice with her team!

Kit doing the dishes:



On Sunday, we went to Mauerpark, another one of my loves here in Berlin. More shenanigans with the karaoke ensued: a man sang and a groom and bride came out and danced to him singing. A girl sang the titanic and 2 people did the hang over the boat thing (see picture). A guy with cerebral palsy sang Let It Be and got a standing ovation. This Mauerpark thing is incredible to me. I will likely go back every Sunday until it closes for winter.

Guy with cerebral palsy singing:


Bride and groom dancing:


That night we headed to an Open Mic Night. I loved that as well, a lot of musicians trying to make a name for themselves and playing their own original music. One guy asked if anyone had a camera and I did so I took a picture of him so he could send it to his grandma. He was great!!!



This week has been filled with four hour German class everyday and homework afterwards. I’ve been cooking a little bit, but not too often. I’m starting to settle into a routine and trying to find that group of friends that I’ll be hanging out with this year. Everyday I meet more and more people from countries all over the world. Always a great experience.

Looking forward to the next few days; meeting more people and seeing more of the wonderful city of Berlin!!!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are "settling in". I would LOVE to be at the karaoke thing with you. It's right up my alley, too!!! Glad you have met some people to do things with regularly and glad you are reaching out to meet new. As always, have a great time, and be safe!!!! Oh, and I LOVE your "girly" room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, and I love you, too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you are having a great time...enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a girl haha I think the room is awesome! Reading these makes me miss you so much..."absence is making my heart grow fonder"...plus I think you are reminding me of my time abroad. I miss everything being new and exciting! I am so proud of you for doing this. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete